linux iso image checksum error

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 29 04:43:46 UTC 2004

Dave Stevens wrote:

> Message: 14
> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:12:12 +0800
> From: Edward <edward at tripled.iinet.net.au>
> Subject: Re: linux iso image checksum error
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>

> Gheorghita Pop wrote:
>

>>Hye!
>>I have a problem installing Fedora 3, I created the first CD using nero
>>with 4x speed, I also checked CD for errors using CDCheck utility. All
>>seems to be OK but I steel get on CD boot the following message:
>>isolinux image checksum error, sorry
>>Boot failed: press a key to retry.
>>I dont Know what is the problem, this could be a problem with nero?
>>Can somebody help me?
>

> Run MD5Sum on the ISO image to see whether it downloaded correctly.
>
> Regards,
> Ed.
>
> I've downloaded and burned FC3-disc2 three times and burned two CDs. All three
> downloads (from two different sites, Red Hat for one) generate the same MD5 sum
> in k3b and the checksum agrees with the one posted. Nonetheless the FC3
> installer media check claims there is a problem with the discs, "bad checksum."
>
> Any idea why? Burning coasters gets old fast...
>

> Dave

If the ISO is OK, as you've just proven to us, then there are two other
culprits:

1> The CD is not burning correctly.

I think this is not the likely culprit, so try #2 first.

2> You have a CD-Reader device or IDE controller which is not quite 100%
good with DMA mode.

Try running the install with the option to turn off DMA. There's plenty
of posts on this mailing list about that - check the archives to be
sure. I think it's something like cdnodma or ide=nodma or something like
that.

Regards,
Ed.