2 DNS, one machine

Colin Brace cwb at lim.nl
Mon Nov 29 11:09:17 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:

  > For a home LAN I would recommend you utilize /etc/host files to manage
> your addresses instead of a DNS.  Just configure your /etc/resolv.conf
> files to point to your ISPs DNS servers.

The ASDL router-modem that I have can be configured to run DNS services
for clients on the internal network, but I have my doubts about this; it
seems to fall out on a regular basis and I recently reconfigured my
setup to use the ISP DNS servers instead. Do you have any experience
with these router-based DNS options? Are they a viable alternative?