Fedora Extras is extra

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 29 12:26:46 UTC 2004

On Monday 29 November 2004 19:07, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Or let me rephrase the problem, why do some people insist that
> replacing packages is bad?

I used to be a systems programmer, a member of a team responsible for maintain
the system software on multisquillion dollar IBM mainframes.

One of the things I learned there is that every step from the standard way of
doing things brings more headaches.

Whenever we customised IBM's software (and we did), we needed a plan to ensure
a smooth transition to the next IBM release.

Whenever we installed software from another vendor (and we did), we needed a
plan to ensure that the different sets of software worked together smoothly,
and to be sure we could update smoothly to the next releases of each.

There is a reason RH highlights that you cannot upgrade a system with Ximian's
Gnome packages in place: Ximian's packages are different (why else would
anyone want them) and conflict with what RH provides. I expect no less.

If I want to package software for RHEL or Fedora Core I will target a specific
environment, most probably a standard install with no third-party extras.
What else _can_ I do? Unless I'm enhancing one of those extras of course.
It's up to administrators (often the users) to ensure that they don't have
conflicting packages, of they do, to have a plan to work around the
difficulties that will arise.

I will, of course, expect you to read the documentation I provide, before
installing and maybe before acquiring the sotware.

--
Cheers
John