New Technology, Auto resolution

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 29 05:33:40 UTC 2004

On Monday 29 November 2004 11:22, darren briggs wrote:
> Hi, I have spoken to the owner of www.xpurt.com, currently we are
> rebuilding xpurt and are gearing up to open source our Auto Resolution
> technology!. The technology is under a Patent and will be under a G.P.L.
> Why are we going open source?. The technology was originally built into a
> web browser called Netview Web browser, and could change the screen
> resolution of a web page to the actual size the page was designed for(No
> scroll bars) . The limitions were that the browser relied on explorers
> rendering engine, needed a central database and was based on VB6. Hence we
> want to open source the technolgy to expand and fix the technologys
> limitations. Now i wish to get in contact with some represenatives from
> fedora to discuss how we can intergrate this technolgy with fedora or for
> example Xorg!

I don't represent anyone:-)

I suggest you don't explicitly target Fedora; it's not the only distro and the
idea of free software is it's free to all.

I suggest you check out free hosting. sourceforge.net and savannah.gnu.org are
popular. Check their requirements, and you may need to discuss your plans
regarding the patent. _I_ think that we need a few patents to throw ad
predators such as MS some time.

Choose one (or host it yourself, but bear in mind they have infrastucture and
experience you lack), and make an announcement at freshmeat.net.

You could also mention it again here when you're organised, and some other
places such as debian developers (www.debian.org) and maybe ask for advice at
mozilla.org.

Commercial distros add stuff that they see as addin vaue to their product. In
contrast, Debian has no commercial reality and it seems tme that just about
anything that works, is packaged and (importantly) meets _their_ ideals
regarding free software is in.

For example, in Debian one will find Amaya, Encompass, Mozilla, Firefox,
Epiphany, Galeon, Dillo, Links, Elinks, lynx, w3m all just an "apt-get
install" away. probably a few more browsers I've not discovered yet too.

--
Cheers
John