Matrox G550 dual-head problem

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Nov 29 15:34:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:49:01AM +0000, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
 > I've just upgraded one of my systems from FC2 to FC3. One of the most
 > obvious problems I'm seeing is that the second head on my Matrox G550
 > doesn't get enabled when the X server is started by GDM. The server
 > *is* running in Xinerama mode though - the mouse pointer disappears
 > off the right hand side of the first head and comes back correctly.
 > The second monitor just sits there saying "No signal" though.
 >
 > The workaround seems to be to flick back to one of the text consoles
 > (Ctrl-Alt-F1), then back to the X server (Alt-F7) - the second head
 > then springs to life.

Yep. Fiddle with teh xorg config a little (try commenting out the
line that reads something like 'screen0 leftof screen1', and
ctrl-alt-del your x-server. for me, it fires up the 2nd head,
though cloned.  unedit the xorg.conf again, ctrl-alt-del,
and it behaves as you would expect.

spooky bug, and been there since fc1.

		Dave