Mail server upgrade

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Nov 29 17:48:28 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 29.11.2004 schrieb Paul Michael Reilly um 6:33:

> It is time for me to migrate my mail system to FC3.  It is a RH9 system
> running sendmail/procmail and UW-imapd.  I don't see any compelling
> reason to change sendmail/procmail but the lack of support for uw-imapd
> is pretty compelling to switch the IMAP server.  The tenor of the mail
> archives seems to point to dovecot as the IMAP server of choice for
> someone like myself who is running a small shop and wants to have a
> secure, simple and supported (out of the box, so to speak) solution.
> The cyrus solution comes in a very close second.

Yes, for a small up to middle size mail server (POP3/IMAP) dovecot
should be the choice. Especially if you was satisfied so far with the
uw-imapd.

> The dovecot wiki has good support documentation for the migration but
> before I jump in I'd like to get some opinions from people on this list
> on what to watch out for, etc. that will make the migration as smooth as
> possible.

Work with backups made first! In this case you don't risk any data loss
either which faults might happen.
Here on the list I did only read 1 or 2 postings where people reported
problems with the Outlook mail client: for some mail users all was fine
after migration, for others not. IIRC it is a known Outlook bug.

> As near as I can tell, it looks like all I need to do is save the
> current sendmail configuration, the current /var/spool/mail/* files,
> install FC3 fresh, restore the sendmail config and /var/spool/mail/*
> files, enable and configure dovecot per the wiki migration notes and
> then reconnect the system to the net.  And it will work like a charm. :-)

The changes from Sendmail 8.12 (RH9) to Sendmail 8.13 (FC3) aren't that
big. So you should be able to keep the sendmail.mc as it is. Just be
sure that a "make -C /etc/mail" will not spit out any errors on the FC3
system.
Keep care to preserve the UIDs/GIDs of your system user accounts. Else
you will have to change ownerships by hand on the spool mboxes.
Yes, following all advices from the dovecot Wiki will bring you safe
from point A to point B.

> I use TDMA for spam control now but would love to hear opinions on why I
> should either keep TDMA or switch to spamassasin from those who have
> faced that decision.

You run a web shop and use a Challenge/Response system for mailing? This
is practical?
I have very good experience by running Sendmail along with ClamAV-milter
(anti-virus protection) and SpamAssassin (spam classification, bound to
Sendmail using MimeDefang). milter-spamc is too a very good tool to
integrate SA into SM mail stream.

> -pmr

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 18:48:23 up 9 days, 13:35, load average: 0.05, 0.23, 0.26