Fedora Extras is extra

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 19:04:34 UTC 2004

William M. Quarles wrote:

> Fedora Extras was supposed to be a community project from the
> beginning. It did not come from Red Hat like Fedora Core did. There
> should be a community on Fedora Extras now. And if this is a respected
> part of the Fedora Project, I am sure having a hard time finding the
> link from fedora.redhat.com to fedora.us.

Bravo!

> The only way that I ever found out about Fedora Extras was through
> this mailing list.

I actually found out about it from one of the books I'd read on Fedora.
On a related note, most books I've read on Fedora point you to places
like freshrpms. No mention of "fedora.us" at all..

> Several of the other repositories of which we speak are far from
> "mini." They have been around longer and are still more popular than
> Fedora Extras. Some have more packages. Most have much better designed
> and more sophisticated websites.

Indeed. From DAG's site: "I currently have *24141* packages available
for different Red Hat flavors. (6.2, 7.3, 8.0, 9, EL2.1, EL3, FC1, FC2
and FC3). They comprise *1344* different projects."

> Also, some include packages (like the ever-popular Xine) that were
> once part of Red Hat Linux but were dropped in the transition to
> Fedora Core. For some reason those packages never made it into Fedora
> Extras. As an aside, why are we still avoiding MPEG technologies in
> The Fedora Project, especially when it is not a product that is bought
> and sold? The courts already upheld the right of open source
> development and distribution of independently developed MPEG software.
>
>> (This is why DAG, FreshRPMS, et al. are also working on coordinating
>> more
>> closely, which is _also_ a very good thing.)
>

> And why can't Fedora Extras participate in that same process like we
> were suggesting? Oh, I forgot, they're still trying to act like
> Microsoft.
>
>>> I've removed them from my repo list just out of principle.
>>

>> Heh. Have fun with that.
>

> He's got plenty of worthwhile options to choose from.

Indeed. I nixed fedora.us as soon as I learned they don't play nice and
I've done quite fine without them.......

Scott