FC2 :: :: AW35/Pro Soundcard

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Nov 29 19:27:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 11:25 +0000, Ben Arnold wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 20:18 +0000, Ben Arnold wrote:
> >Yep, it's another hardware problem!
> >
> >My ISA AOpen AW35 Pro (R2.2-D7) CS4237 soundcard is picked up OK by kudzu
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> >but not installed properly. When I startup, I get an error stating:
> >
> >" Error whilst initilising driver:
> >/dev/dsp  can't be opened, no such device "
> >
> >Can anyone help me on this? I've googled for drivers but things don't go
> >anywhere.
> >I'm starting to find silence a bit boring.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Banana
> >
> >Fedora Core 2 : Kernel 2.6.5-1.358
> >

> system-config-soundcard does not detect it. Kudzu does and installs it (so
> it says), but something has gone wrong between the two.

I missed something in your above earlier. You state this is an ISA card.
IIRC system-config-soundcard looks for PCI devices only and kudzu has
problems as well.

My recommendation -- spend the $10 to $200 (depending on the card you
choose) and get a NEW easily supported sound card.  I have used many
different versions of the creative cards and they have all been a simple
plug and play install.  Kudzu installs and configures them for you.