Fedora Extras is extra

William M. Quarles quarlewm at jmu.edu
Mon Nov 29 20:22:58 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:39:24 -0700, Scott wrote:

<snip>
> If "3-4 people" think they can create and maintain more than 1000
> packages alone, let them do it. Thank them for doing it, if those
> packages seem to work fine for you. Although I don't see that all
> those packages are up-to-date or moving faster than packages in
> fedora.us.

Actually, it looks like Matthias at FreshRPMs, who is only one person,
has a more updated version of ALSA on his website for Fedora Core 1 than
does Fedora Extras.  And I don't even think he is maintaining Core 1
anymore.  So wise up.

<snip>
> Btw, just a week ago, incidentally, I was pointed to a package in Dag
> Wieers' repository, which he copied from my fedora.us package in early
> October, apparently saving him time. He has still not descended from
> his high horse to reply to my private mail. Though, on the same day
> he repaired the package silently already.

It's Free software, who cares?  Get over it.

<snip>
>>They really need to take a hard look  at this.
>
> Not fedora.us. Why should the active contributors at fedora.us see
> existing 3rd party repositories as competition and try to provide the
> same packages?

Hello, we aren't suggesting competition here!  What have we been saying
guys?  "COOPERATION!  COORDINATION!"

----
Peace,
William