Fedora Extras is extra

William M. Quarles quarlewm at jmu.edu
Mon Nov 29 20:49:19 UTC 2004

I put this back on list (which is a newsgroup for me).

Bernd Radinger wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:42:45 -0500, William M. Quarles <quarlewm at jmu.edu> wrote:
>
>>Fedora Extras was supposed to be a community project from the beginning.
>>  It did not come from Red Hat like Fedora Core did.
>

> Did you ever read fedora.redhat.com? ``Fedora Extras'' is part of Red
> Hat's Fedora Project. But it does not exist yet.

Yeah, and I haven't seen it on The Fedora Project website yet at all.
Apparently you haven't been to <http://www.fedora.us/> lately either,
since that is where Fedora Extras currently exists.

Fedora Extras is not listed as one of the Fedora subprojects.
<http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/>

>>There should be a
>>community on Fedora Extras now.  And if this is a respected part of the
>>Fedora Project, I am sure having a hard time finding the link from
>>fedora.redhat.com to fedora.us.
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/
>
> There you are.

I don't see anything about Fedora Extras there either.  I do at
<http://www.fedora.us> though however.

>>Also, some include packages (like the ever-popular Xine) that were once
>>part of Red Hat Linux but were dropped in the transition to Fedora Core.
>>  For some reason those packages never made it into Fedora Extras.
>
> Fedora Extras is subject to the same policies as Fedora Core. No
> software with patenting and licensing issues.

Fooey.  Well, just further prooves my point that this necessitates the
existence of other repositories.

----
Peace,
William