Rescue HD setup procedure

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Nov 29 20:50:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 16:25 +0900, Mitsuho Iizuka wrote:
> From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:00:04 +0000
>
> > Add the word "rescue" to the list of kernel parameters for your rescue
> > grub.conf entry.
>
> Do you mean this way ?
>
>     title Resc
>         root (hd0,1)
>         kernel /boot/installer/vmlinuz-resc
>         initrd /boot/installer/initrd-resc.img ramdisk_size=8192 rescue

No, I mean this way:

title Resc
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/installer/vmlinuz-resc ramdisk_size=8192 rescue
        initrd /boot/installer/initrd-resc.img

> I tried 'mount -o loop' and checked 'FC3-i386-rescuecd.img'
> contents. It seemed there was NOT grub loader in this CD(img) (M?)BR
> and WERE many different type of files, such as isolinux.cfg(what is
> this?), as follows.

The bootable CDs use isolinux (a variation of syslinux) as their
bootloader rather than grub. isolinux.cfg is its configuration file,
equivalent in purpose to grub.conf

> Anyway that's why I come to think now it will be
> difficult to have both 'FC3 installer HDD(grub)' and 'rescue HDD(not
> grub) w/ prompt and rescue menu' in the same HDD partition. Is this
> conclusion right ?

There should be no problem having them in the same grub.conf.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>