[FC3] where is which??

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Nov 29 22:08:30 UTC 2004

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> The type command huh! you learn something new everyday. As long as you
> are learning you can't die. At least that is my theory.
>
> But the which command works on my FC3 system.

Yeah.  But unless you are using (t)csh, it is better to use type, eh.

Example:
$ type type
type is a shell builtin
$ type which
which is hashed (/usr/bin/which)
$ alias ll="ls -l"
$ type ll
ll is aliased to `ls -l'
$ which ll
which: no ll in (/usr/bin:/bin)

Now let switch to tcsh:
% which which
which: shell built-in command.
% alias ll "ls -l"
% which ll
ll:      aliased to ls -l

As you can see, it is better to use type with bash (and alike shells),
and which with (t)csh shells only.  You can't use type with (t)csh (it
is shell builtin only).