Problem: FC2, Dell Latitude CSx, Linksys PCM100 EtherFast 10/100 Integrated PC Card

Mike Detwiler mikedetwiler at cablespeed.com
Tue Nov 30 03:11:19 UTC 2004

> Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:01:22 -0500
> From: "Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com>
>
> On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 22:36, Mike Detwiler wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just upgraded my notebook from RH 7.2 to FC2 (kernel 2.6.5-1.358).
>> My Linksys PCM100 card worked fine with RH 7.2, but when I boot to FC2
>> I get the following message:
>>
>> pcnet_cs device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization
>>
>> I searched the list archives and found that others had similar
>> problems, but none of the posted solutions seemed to apply to my
>> situation. I'm not sure if all of the information listed below is
>> relevant, but I'll list it in case it helps. Thanks in advance to
>> anyone who takes the time to help me out.
>>

>> - hwbrowser shows the following information for PCMCIA/PC-Card devices:
>>
>> Selected Device: PCI1225
>> Manufacturer: Texas Instruments
>> Driver: yenta_socket
>>

> The other possibility is that there were some people that had a problem
> with the yenta_socket stuff.  I don't remember the solution but there
> was a fix.  Check the archives for the specifics on that problem.

It was a problem with the yenta_socket stuff. Thanks for pointing me in
the right direction.

After searching the archives, I found a workaround that gets things
working with "modprobe yenta_socket" and then restarting pcmcia. This
has to be done with every reboot. I'm not sure if this is the fix you
were referring to, but at least I'm making progress.