Fedora Extras is extra

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Nov 30 03:14:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 15:11 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 06:44:10PM +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > Another thing - I hate beuracracy but this may be needed - a neutral
> > naming authority. In cases where packages conflict simply because of
> > different package name, if the naming can't be fixed between the repos
> > themselves, let an independent community group decide.
>
> Fedora Extras _should be_ that independent community group.
1. Fedora Extras is run and conducted by RH.

2. It is RH, who until now has refused to cooperate with developers on
selecting N-V-R conventions. Until now, each of the 3rd parties (which
Fedora.US had been one of) has invented its own conventions.

3. N-V-R's are only one kind package conflicts being involved in
incompatibilities which occur when mixing repositories. There are many
more, much worser hidden package dependencies "occasional users" will
rarely notice.

Ralf