Fedora Extras is extra

William M. Quarles quarlewm at jmu.edu
Tue Nov 30 03:58:06 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote:

<snip>
> And this is one problem with third party packagers.  Non-standard
> naming/packaging practices and the extent by which some modify the core
> OS make compatibility choices difficult. Total lack of documentation on
> the changes and compatibilities make it hard to know what is right, so
> using a site where everything is known to "just work" without breaking
> something else is a big factor.
<snip>

I'm confused about the "so using a site where everything is known to
"just work" without breaking something else is a big factor" part.  A
little clarfication might be helpful.

FreshRPMs has complete descriptions and changelogs for every SRPM its
website if you go there to download individual packages.  However, it's
much more efficient to just use Yum or APT, which doesn't deal you any
documentation.  Perhaps a more upfront "this is what installing my stuff
using Yum/APT will do to your system" would be helpful.

----
Peace,
William