OT: fighting rbl's

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 30 08:22:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 05:18 +0100, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been repeatedly affected by RBL providers incorrectly listing my
> static IP address in their dial-up ranges causing my messages to be
> rejected by the servers of several clueless wannabe administrators.
>
> What makes things really worse is that none of these lists is even close
> to being well maintained and it usually takes weeks to get removed.

What's your IP address and which DNSBLs (RBL is a trademark of MAPS LLC)
are you referring to?

> I first thought of a cronjob to nag the removal contact about once per
> hour, but I doubt this account does ever get read.

That's more likely to get you permanently plonked than removed.

> Currently I am trying to use all contacts I can find for the RBL
> provider and recipient domain and ask them to unlist my IP and/or stop
> using the broken RBL.

That makes more sense.

> Unfortunately some of those bastards even use their own RBL to prevent
> such requests from getting through and I wonder what else I can do.

That's a pretty dumb thing for them to do, I'd have to agree.

> Launch wget with an invalid URL once per second to put my removal
> request in their httpd log?

That's abusive; don't do it.

> Reciprocally blocking their domain from delivering here?

That's fine: your mail server, your rules. However, if they did
eventually make a query regarding your removal request, you probably
wouldn't want to reject it.

> Any other ideas?

A workaround might be to route outgoing mail for domains using that list
via another mail server, such as your ISP's mail server.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>