ppp connection to Tungsten E fails

Anca Tibor-Attila anca.tibor at gmx.de
Tue Nov 30 13:59:18 UTC 2004

Hi list,

I used my Palm Tungsten E under SuSE 9.1 prof. quite easy, without
problems. I set up the ppp connection according to a script in the net:

# PalmPPP - By Patrick Khoo - March 6, 2000
# See how we were started

case "$1" in
  start)
        # Start PPP  Link to Palm
	echo -n "Starting PalmPPP: "

	/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyUSB1 115200 192.168.0.2:192.168.0.5 \
	passive local crtscts noauth nodeflate proxyarp \
	-detach ms-dns 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 \
	asyncmap 0

	echo "Done."
	echo " "
	;;

  stop)
	# Stop PPP  Link to Palm
	echo -n "Stopping PalmPPP: "

	killall pppd

	echo "Done."
	echo ""
	;;

  *)
	echo "Usage: palmppp {start|stop}"
	echo " "
	exit 1

esac

exit 0

Thi I needed for my AvantGo and VersaMail settings. The thing functioned
without problems; I could fetch my mails, send them, synchronize with
AvantGo. Since I am under Fedora Core 3 the Palm device allways tells
me, it is not able to resolve (e.g. pop.gmx.net); it asks, if I could
provide the numeric IP of the server. I did it, but it did not help.
The device knows a primary DNS (that is my router, I am hanging on); I
did not change anything on the script above, I just burned it and
copied onto the new system.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance,
--