OT: fighting rbl's

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Nov 30 17:48:39 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 10:28, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
>

>>Another reason might be that some people might have privacy issues with
>>their correspondence being stored on intermediate mail server they have
>>no controll of.
>
> For such an issue encryption is a better solution.

I ment even when using encryption.  Message in transmission (usually) is
not stored on the disk.  However message that is relayed might be stored
on the disk on the relay host.  As we all know, deleting something from
hard drive is not trivial task (if possible at all).  For somebody who
gets hold of such a hard drive, the fact that two persons were
communicating in the past might be valuable information, even without
being able to see content of the correspondence (encryption is not going
to save you there).  Anyhow this belongs to rather extreme area of
security/privacy.  There are entire books written on it, and anything
that I attempt to put in a paragraph or two will be so full of holes
that it wan't illustrate any usable point.

Anyhow, even without this (rather extreme, and not applicable to vast
majority of people) security/privacy thing, having control on how your
email is sent to recipient's MX might be of value to the sender.