Problems with Fedora and cable modem

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Nov 30 18:16:38 UTC 2004

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:
>
>> This description is typical of a noisy or marginal quality cable. I
>> have seen this when something else is attached to the same cable, or
>> when a connector on a cable end is going bad.
>

> Seems that solution is hardware one, and thus kind of off topic.  Oh well.
>
> After reading yours, Marc's and Michael's replies, I went to my basement
> and rechecked the cabling.  What I found was that my father in law
> disconnected the TV in the basement (we are doing some renovations
> upstairs, and he needed to move it to get access from bellow).  So one
> of the cable branches was not terminated anymore.  He did it couple of
> weeks ago (we don't use that TV much, so it went unnoticed), and I
> didn't had problems with it until couple of days ago.  I replaced
> three-way splitter with two-way splitter (so that all branches on the
> splitter are active and terminated), and now everything seems to work
> stable again.
>
> Could it be that dead branch on the splitter affected other branches,
> and that signal quality was just barely good enough for modem (and it
> needed just a small change somewhere else to go over the edge)?
>
> I'm not sure if this was the reason, since it seems as the things were
> starting to normalize again even before I eliminated the "dead" branch.
>  If nothing else, at least the modem will get higer quality signal now
> that it is on two-way splitter.
>
> Or it just might be oxydation on the connector.  When I unplugged and
> plugged it again, oxydation gets scratched off.  If it starts failing
> again in couple of weeks or months, and unplugging and plugging helps,
> it might be that I need better connectors...  Gotta love troubleshooting
> without proper equipment to measure signal quality ;-)

 From a technical point of view.  A strong signal can cause problems
as an unterminated connection will cause reflections on the line.
These reflections can be strong enough to block out other signals.
Depending on cable lengths, it may even set a null point that makes
the received signal seem quite low.

These reflections are one tool that the cable company uses to test
their lines.  It can be used to tell how many TV's are hooked up in a
house as each splitter and TV provide a little reflection.

Here is a link to describe the principle.
http://www.firecommunications.com/coax.shtml

You could also be correct about the timing and an outside source of
the problem.  If there was a cable fault, it could also affect your
service.  I had a problem in my neighborhood with the cable amp not
liking the night time temps.  It would generate more harmonic noise at
night and affect both some TV channels and Internet access.  Never
during the day when the service techs would visit.

Another problem that I have come across is with foam filled coax.  The
dielectric actually sticks to the copper.  I scrape the center
conductor to remove any trace dielectric.

--
Robin Laing