Fedora Extras is extra

Erik Kjær Pedersen erik at binghamton.edu
Tue Nov 30 18:47:11 UTC 2004

Tirsdag 30 november 2004 09:06 skrev Jeff Spaleta:
> If an individual maintainer
> can no longer package in a centralized build system... a volunteer
> does not need to try to duplicate any of the build infrastructure to
> come forward and maintain the packages that were orphaned.

It is of course an interesting problem you mention here. 6 years ago we
converted all our computers to redhat linux, we had a mixture of suns and
intel machines. (I was chairman of a math dept. at the time) Then we were
left high and dry because red hat no longer supported redhat on suns.
Later redhat gave up on the standard series we were following, the redhat
series. We used to buy for around $300-500 pr year from redhat, less after
they no longer supported the sun machines. After a while you do of course
develop some expertise dealing with a specific system, so we have more or
less decided to go along with fedora. We would not be able to afford rhel.

So it is indeed an issue if something you rely on disappears, but since redhat
has done that to us at least twice and more if you count giving up support
for things like mp3, I do not see the risk from third part repositories being
any bigger than relying on redhat in particular on the fedora core system.

Erik