OT: fighting rbl's

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Tue Nov 30 19:53:37 UTC 2004

On Die, 2004-11-30 at 23:34 +0800, HaJo Schatz wrote:
> Assuming that his original post comes from the same IP he's talking
> about, this seems like an either wrong information or unlucky/stupid
> case.

Chello assigns both it's business and residential customers from the
same pool of IP adresses. It's just that the RBL providers don't get it
that there is no such thing like dynamic ranges.

> Seems that all IPs around him are dial-up IPs of his ISP,
> chello.at.

Chello is one of the better providers here and assigns all of their
customers an IP that usually remains unchanged for many years.

> And chello.at seems not to be liked by BLs, probably because
> they have outgoing SMTP open and hence nurture spammers.

Show me any provider who has more than 228,000 customers and has no
history of spammers. Nurturing them would mean to tolerate spamming and
to my best knowledge chello has never done this.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

lotus notes: it's not just a mail program,
it's a complete denial of service attack in one box!