OT: fighting rbl's

Grant Limberg glimberg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 20:08:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 20:57 +0100, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> On Die, 2004-11-30 at 08:22 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > What's your IP address and which DNSBLs (RBL is a trademark of MAPS LLC)
> > are you referring to?
>
> In fact it _is_ MAPS LLC.
>
> > > Launch wget with an invalid URL once per second to put my removal
> > > request in their httpd log?
> >
> > That's abusive; don't do it.
>
> I consider it abusive to block my legitimate mail from getting through,
> so what.
>
> > > Reciprocally blocking their domain from delivering here?
> >
> > That's fine: your mail server, your rules. However, if they did
> > eventually make a query regarding your removal request, you probably
> > wouldn't want to reject it.
>
> Of course, but it seems that they are ignoring my removal request
> anyway.
>
> Tom

You dont really have much of a choice.  You're in the customer pool of
IP addresses for your ISP.  Those IP blocks are usually the ones blocked
by the DNSRBLs.

You have two choices here:

1) Set up a smarthost so that your mail server relays through your ISP's
mail server

-or-

2) Live with your emails getting blocked.