About VNC

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 30 20:39:48 UTC 2004

Leif Schaffner said:
[snip]
> This piqued my curiously and I just skimmed a few vnc* man pages.
>

> With some creative hacking & redirection -- can I allow a windowz java
> enabled browser as a vnc-client into my FC3 box using existing ports and
> services?
>
> I'm thinking about (apache+enabled home directories) handle the HTTP
> portion through :443 & ssh handle the RFB ??

The java viewer is just an applet that can be served by any HTTP server.
I've used apache in the past to serve the applet pointing to the inetd
port for VNC to generate once-off VNC sessions authenticated by GDM.

That said you have to be concerned with java security (i.e. I believe that
by default you can only connect to the same host that served you the
applet).  Also, if you have SSH already set up (you are using it for the
RFB), why not just use SSH to tunnel both the HTTP and RFB?

--
William Hooper