About VNC

Raffi Khatchadourian raffi at khatchadourian.com
Tue Nov 30 20:43:43 UTC 2004

Jarkko Elfving wrote:

>gee! I got it work! Thanks... but one thing... I did a mistake of
>configurations and all what I did see was about 8-16 colors... and
>that's ugly. And now I can't kill the current viewer - I mean... when I
>close it like an any window and do an new connection - the last state is
>still there. Someone might say it before that old connection must be
>terminated.
>
>The main problem now is:
>how to get new VNC-connection, with full colors, that I can able to see
>exp. the Desktop from that computer than I'm connecting to? I hope that
>you're getting my point.

Not sure about the full colors. The default is usually fine with me. To
kill a server, issue this command:

vncserver -kill :<display number>

If you want to kill display 1, it would be vncserver -kill :1. You may
find it helpful that the state is retained (I usually do). You can also
run the vncserver through xinetd.d, you can look through man pages for
that. I've always heard of ways to run XDMCP through VNC, in which the
state won't be retained and you could serve multiple users with just one
display and password.