How to compile kernel source for FC3

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 30 22:34:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Satish Balay wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Tony Denault wrote:
>

> > I needed to recompile the kernel for an inhouse development project.
> > Following the threads _almost_ told me what to do. I'll posted
> > how I got the kernel source install, compile and running
> > reference. Or please correct any error....thanks,

a short digression -- most of the solutions for installing and
building source rpms require the root password since the rpm-related
commands, by default, like to unload source rpms in /usr/src/redhat.
barf.

you're better off creating a personal .rpmmacros file that overrides
that silliness so that these operations happen under your home
directory.  you'd still need root privilege to *install* a new kernel,
but at least you can do everything else as a regular user.

here's a quick and dirty example of a ~/.rpmmacros file, customize to
taste:

=====
# Packaging info.

%packager	%(echo ${USER}@)%(hostname)
%distribution	Personal Build

# Fundamental directory locations.

%_topdir	%(echo $HOME)/build/rpms
%_sourcedir     %{_topdir}/SOURCES
%_specdir       %{_sourcedir}

%_builddir	%{_topdir}/BUILD

%_tmppath	%{_topdir}/tmp
#
#  this next line shouldn't be necessary
#
%tmpdir		%{_topdir}/tmp
%_buildroot	%{_topdir}/%{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-root

%_rpmdir	%{_topdir}/RPMS
%_srcrpmdir	%{_topdir}/SRPMS
%_rpmfilename	%%{NAME}-%%{VERSION}-%%{RELEASE}.%%{ARCH}.rpm

# Override unpackaged errors.

%_unpackaged_files_terminate_build	0
=====

rday