nautilus & sound in FC2

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Fri Oct 1 03:09:33 UTC 2004

Pybe wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:17:43 -0400, M.Hockings <veeshooter at hockings.net> wrote:
>
>>I have scrounged around a bit in the archives but don't see any hits on
>>this but I am sure there must be a solution.  I have moved two machines
>>to FC2, one (an IBM PC300PL) was an upgrade from FC1 and the other (an
>>old Aptiva) I formatted the disk and did a clean install.  I have
>>similar problems on both in that the file explorer tool (is that
>>Nautilus?) is acting like an old Window 95 tool such that it lacks the
>>tree on the left of the window and opens a new window with each
>>directory you open.  I don't see any setting in it to change this and
>>make the operation like it was in FC1.  What am I overlooking?
>>
>>My second questions is why does sound no longer seem to work.  On both
>>machines now (where sound was working in FC1 with no help just fine) the
>>soundcard detection tool reports none found.
>>
>>Any thoughts on either of these anomalies?  If I didn't know better I
>>would have thought that FC2 was previous version of FC1...
>>

> For nautilus search the archives and or google for spatial nautilus
> you will find lots about it including how to turn it off, there might
> be some info on fedorafaq.org about it too.
>
> For the sound is it definatly that the cards are not found? Or that
> the sound doesnt play? Could you post the output from lspci?
>
> Pybe

Thanks Pybe,

I found an article at
http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/spatial-nautilus.html that explained the
nautilus bit and (more importantly to me :-) gives the tweak to put it back.

With the sound I only had a chance to do the lspci thing on the one
machine. I'll try and do the other one next week when I am back in the
office.

For the PC300PL lspci reports:
[hockings at omxnnu hockings]$ /sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge
(rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge
(rev 03)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:02.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:02.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:02.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]
(rev 05)
01:01.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. Trio 64 3D (rev 01)

The sound is built into the motherboard but I don't know what it is on
this one, on the other machine, an Aptiva, it is Crystal Audio sound.

In any case it's not a big deal but just disapointing that the sound
doesn't work.

Mike