galeon needs mozilla = 37:1.7.2

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Fri Oct 1 12:18:17 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 06:53, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> >     Is this a geeky way to tell us that Galeon's gonna get dropped, so
> > we should get used to Firefox?  I've given it nearly a week; is this
> > gonna be a long-term thing?
>
> Galeon always lags behind new releases of moziila because the API changes so
> much. The latest released Galeon source simply will not build against mozilla
> 1.7.3.
>
> If you want to install mozilla 1.7.3 and can do without galeon for a while,
> just remove galeon and wait for a new release.
>
> Galeon is not part of the Fedora Core distribution anyway, so there won't be
> an official Fedora release.

    Well, yeah...if someone could get all the Galeon features into
Firefox, I'd jump right now; I love the simple way it works.  They're
trying, but there are several things that're very awkward.  I've used it
for years, starting back when it was the only browser that 'doesn't bomb
as much as Netscape' :> and have just gotten used to it, ya know?

> >     And what's with the '37' on the front of the version number?
>
> It's an "Epoch" number. Epochs are used to indicate a change in version
> numbering schemes, so for instance version 0.1 of an "Epoch 2" RPM will be
> seen by RPM as being a later version that version 7.5 of an "Epoch 1" RPM for
> the same package. Quite why the Fedora RPMs use such a high Epoch number I
> don't know.

    Thanks so much; I wasn't expecting such a complete answer, or one so
quickly!

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller