Surveillance

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Fri Oct 1 18:02:55 UTC 2004

I need some recommendations on equipment thats FC2 supported to perform
surveillance that will provide video and audio that will stand up in
court. i.e. high enough in resolution to be regarded as credible. Just
reading the specs on equipment I've Googled for doesn't tell me what I'm
going to need. That requires experience I don't have.

One of my neighbors, directly across the street, is a nuisance. The rest
of the neighborhood (5 homes) just got done having a meeting with local
law enforcement to discuss how we go about altering his behavior. Long
story short, we have to record that behavior, file charges and bring
evidence to court. As the only professional computer geek I volunteered
my help.

Among many many other things, Mr nuisance has a habit of going into his
4 car garage and revving the engine on one of his customized vehicles to
red line at all hours of the day and night for a few minutes. No one
knows why he does this, and its never long enough for the police to
catch him at it but it does wake up the neighborhood, especially the
kids. He will do the same for a vehicle parked in his drive way before
he peals rubber onto the street and blasts thru the STOP sign. Every
vehicle he owns (3 pickups, 2 cars, 1 Harley, 2 dirt bikes, 2 ATV, 1
mini motorcycle for his son) has the bare minimum of mufflers, and he
marks his territory by constantly annoying his neighbors.

I need recommendations on equipment suitable to capture such action at a
distance of 200 feet. Audio only at night would suffice as long as we
can show video and audio of similar events during broad day light. The
audio is the part that concerns me. I may have to have the equipment
outdoors to get good audio.

I plan on training the camera at the street in front of his house which
would also capture his house in the background, and connecting it to a
video4linux setup running 24/7 with several hundred Gig of disk space.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com