Can see Chinese chars in Acrobat, can't print

Dougherty, Michael michael.dougherty at swosu.edu
Sat Oct 2 03:05:06 UTC 2004

Hi,

My wife needs some (traditional) Chinese forms printed from an official Taiwan gov website.  I seem to recall somehow getting this to work in FC1, but with my upgrade I can't get it in FC2.  Using Adobe's Acrobat Reader (acroread) at first the characters weren't "all there" but I installed their Chinese character font kit (file chtfont.tar.gz, unzipped, untarred, installed, OK), and then I could see them, but I can't print the documents.  I tried all the acroread options like level 1-3 postscript output, do/don't download Asian fonts, etc.  When I output to a .ps file, gv can't read it.  I bet I'm missing something stupid, I guess on the ghostscript level(?).  For laughs I installed the "taipeifonts" rpm but I don't know what that's for specifically and it did me no good anyhow.

I appreciate any help with this I can get.  Sorry if this is an old topic.  It takes some time to search the whole archive on my dialup.

Thanks for any help!
-- Mike Dougherty