FC2 Slow boot after network setup -

Ted Kaczmarek tedkaz at optonline.net
Sat Oct 2 11:21:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 04:19 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I'm not sure what I've done but suddenly the time to boot has gone from
> about two minutes to what seems like about five minutes more. Toward the
> end of the boot process it dwells on starting ntpd, starting sendmail,
> and starting smb-client. The rest of the boot process seems normal.
>
> I was setting up a second computer with FC-2 for the grandsons and
> decided to make a simple network to pass files between them and to print
> from this one. After that exercise the slow boot seems to have shown up
> on both. Other than that everything seems to work nicely making it a
> non-problem I suppose, more an abnormality?
>
> Both are old Pentium class computers with 300 - 400 megs of RAM.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Bob Goodwin    Zuni, Virginia

Delays like this are typically name resolution related.
Did you make any hostname/hosts/dns changes?

Possible that your network interface is crawling as well, check network
I/O.

You could try the below steps if you don't see anything in the log
files. or find anything.

As root from the console/local keyboard
chkconfig ntpd off
chkconfig sendmail off
chkconfig smb-client off
init 1
init 3
service ntpd start
check the log files
manually try doing an ntpdate to the server in your ntpd.conf
slocate ntpd.conf

Ted