Failing hard drive?

Rasmus Back rasmus.back at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 14:04:48 UTC 2004

Hi

I was playing around with smartctl on my server and found some
worrying entries in the logs:

[root at localhost root]# smartctl -l selftest /dev/hda
smartctl version 5.21 Copyright (C) 2002-3 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed: electrical failure 90%      5311
      0x00006b47
# 2  Short offline       Completed: electrical failure 90%      5311
      0x00ac0057
# 3  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%      5310
      0x003a0c9d
# 4  Short offline       Completed: electrical failure 90%      5310
      0x00d80397
# 5  Conveyance offline  Fatal or unknown error        00%      5310         -
# 6  Short offline       Completed: electrical failure 90%      5310
      0x00d80397
# 7  Short offline       Completed: electrical failure 90%      5310
      0x00007ab7

The drive is unable to complete any selftests, smartctl -c says that
the drive supports both short and extended selftests (but not
conveyance so that error is ok). The drive in question is a Seagate
Barracuda ATA IV (ST340016A), and has been in use for 5311 hours
according to smartctl.

I checked that SMART is turned on in the BIOS, the power cable is
firmly connected, SMART is enabled for the drive and I changed the IDE
cable. Still can't run any selftests. Supprisingly smartctl -H shows
that the drive thinks it's still ok.

Has anybody had "electrical failures" on a drive? Did the drive fail?

Thanks,
Rasmus