FC-2 iptables settings

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Oct 2 15:45:47 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 11:14, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> When I installed FC-2 I was asked which firewall I wanted,
> and I opted for the default Medium security.
>
> Where are the settings for the 3 options I was offered?
> Are they actually different iptables settings,
> and if so where are they to be found?
Yes it sets different things in iptables depending on the level.

There are as usual several ways to get this information.

You can look in the file /etc/sysconfig/iptables.  These are rules that
are loaded when the system boots up or when you restart iptables.

You can also issue the command:

service iptables status

This will show you what rules are currently active.

You may want to to do this since certain programs punch their own holes
through the firewall such as ntpd.  (Which I personally think is
incorrect, if ports need to be opened in the firewall there should be
one place that does this.)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com