cpuspeed and cpudyn not working with my mobile pentium 4, please help!

Francisco Figueiredo Jr. fxjrlists at yahoo.com.br
Sat Oct 2 17:12:51 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I have a laptop with a mobile pentium 4 2.8 ht as we can see from cat
/proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4     CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2788.302
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid
bogomips        : 5505.02

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4     CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2788.302
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid
bogomips        : 5570.56

I'd like to know why I can't have cpu throttling. :(

I'm using the 2.6.7 kernel in fedora core 2.

I can see that I do have the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/*
files but if I restart cpuspeed or start dyncpu they hang and if I do a
  cat  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq, cat hangs
too. And I can't kill them, even sending -9 signal!! :(

I tried loading the speedstep-ich and I have a ich based south bridge
with no luch too. But I only got a module speedstep-ich not found. How
do I know if the speedstep-ich is already compiled in kernel? and I
can't find it with /sbin/lsmod but I do have the cpufreq files...

I could notice that I don't have the powersave as one of the available
governors, I only have performance and userspace.

I also noticed that:

cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
processor id:            0
acpi id:                 0
bus mastering control:   yes
power management:        no
throttling control:      no
limit interface:         no

and if I do cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling
it says:
<not supported>

Why??

I'd like to be able to use cpu throttling so I can get longer battery
usage and less heat.

Please, could you help me??

I don't know what information I could give you besides that. If I'm
missing something, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.