New To Linux

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Oct 2 23:05:54 UTC 2004

Hi,

> Hi all I am new to Linux and am hoping that somebody can help me with
> what may be a silly question

Sure, but please, post normally. Horrid blue backgrounds are not
friendly to those with visual impairments or who like to see black text
on a white background!

> I have installed fedora core 2 on an old Pentium P3 pc with 3 hard
> drives and 1 DVD-ROM drive and have got it setup fine except that I
> cannot get into my second and third HDD’s I can see them in hardware
> monitor and they are showing as free space but I just cannot do
> anything with them – what I want to do is use them for storage of
> files to share on a samba server setup i.e. hda Linux hdb and hdc
> storage space

When you did the install, were the drives connected and if they were,
did you let the installer do the partitioning? If you did, it's quite
likely that the other two drives will be getting used somewhere. Have a
look in /etc/fstab for entries marked /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdc1. These are
the names given to the drives. The DVD will be something like /dev/hde
(you will see it in /etc/fstab).

> Hope this all makes sense if not I will try to give more detail if
> somebody responds

I don't use Samba, so I can't really tell you how to do it. As long as
they are partitioned, you should be able to use them as Samba shares by
telling Samba that they are shared drives and the set the permissions
correctly.