new to linux

Tom Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Sun Oct 3 00:29:59 UTC 2004

Hi Karl:

First, NEVER-NEVER-NEVER use root account when on the internet if at all
possible.

On Saturday 02 October 2004 16:55, root wrote:
> hi paul thankyou for the prompt response and yes i got my linux mail
> client setup now sorry about the blue background before but you guessed
> it i am a sad windows user as well. anyway onto the problem i have
> again.
>
> >When you did the install, were the drives connected and if they were,
> >did you let the installer do the partitioning? If you did, it's quite
> >likely that the other two drives will be getting used somewhere. Have a
> >look in /etc/fstab for entries marked /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdc1. These are
> >the names given to the drives. The DVD will be something like /dev/hde
> >(you will see it in /etc/fstab).
>
> yes when i installed fedora the drives were all attached and i did let the
> installer do all the work i have had a look in /etc/fstab and this is what
> i see
>
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy
> auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
>
> hope that helps on that piece and also this is what i see in hardware
> browser
>
> Device  Start End Size (MB) Type
> /dev/hda
> hda1  1 203 100  ext3
> hda2  204 36712 17969  ext3
> hda3  36713 38792 1024  linux-swap
>
> /dev/hdb
>   1 19386 9542  free space
> /dev/hdc
>   1 19386 9542  free space
> again hope this helps and thankyou for the response so far
>
> karl filby

It looks like no partitions have been created on the 2nd and 3rd hard drives
(hdb & hdc).  That can be done with parted (partition editor).  That should
be done with root privilige.  Look at "man parted".  Parted would be run
either in a root CLI (command line interface - equivalent of the Winblows
"command prompt) or in a root terminal under X-windows.

HTH, Tom
--
Tom Taylor
registered linux user #263467

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we,"
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
people - and neither do we." - George W. Bush, Aug 2004