xcdroast

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Oct 3 03:37:52 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 20:19, david walcroft wrote:
> Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I need to burn an iso image but cannot seem to locate where in xcdroast
> > to specify the iso image file?  I have found that "cdrecord -scanbus"
> > only sees my SCSI drives an not my IDE CDROM burner as well.
> >
> > Does Fedora 2 have another applicaiton that is easier to use to burn CD
> > iso images?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Lonnie
> >

> Lonnie,
>         In my limited experience xcdroast and k3b are frontends to
> cdrecord and they burn iso's and music files  only,data files need to be
> formated with mkisofs to be burnt.As such there is no setting to burn
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HUH?  Have you tried using either to create a CD from files?
K3B has the drag&drop front end for creating a CD.

Both have the ability to specify files to be included and they create
the CD on the fly without needing to create an iso filesystem first.
Please do not spread FUD about things that you are not giving complete
and accurate information about.

Yes, cdrecord needs an iso filesystem for input.  However xcdroast and
k3b handle that part for you and thus you do not have to do anything
more than specify with the GUI what files are to be included.

Both can be used to burn an iso image to the CD, to copy CDs, or to
create a CD from the native filesystem.

> iso's it's automatic.
> Does the ide burner show in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf, if not it could mean
> the BIOS isn't detecting it,if it is in hwconf maybe delete it and run
> kudzu to redetect and try cdrecord -scanbus again.

He said it is IDE.  Try cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI to see the burner.

In my experience, I would recommend K3B to burn the CD.
You will need to be root in any case if you are at the latest kernel
(2.6.8) to burn CDs.

In K3B select <Tools - CD - Burn CD image>   to select and burn an image
to the cd