Failing hard drive?

Rasmus Back rasmus.back at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 10:54:25 UTC 2004

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 01:41:33 +0300, Markku Kolkka
<markkukolkka at kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> Rasmus Back kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika lauantai, 2.
> lokakuuta 2004 17:04):
> > The drive is unable to complete any selftests, smartctl -c
> > says that the drive supports both short and extended selftests
> > (but not conveyance so that error is ok). The drive in
> > question is a Seagate Barracuda ATA IV (ST340016A), and has
> > been in use for 5311 hours according to smartctl.
>
> Get the SeaTools diagnostic disc from Seagate:
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
> You need the ISO image, the floppy version needs Windows.
> Boot with the CD and run the diagnostics.

Thanks!

Didn't know about that diagnostic disc. Unfortunately the diagnostic
disc won't work on my server. I see something about a unknown command
and then it drops to the DOS console. The diagnostic disc works fine
on my workstation, so I think the burn succeeded. Anyway, I ran
badblocks on the drive and it reported a bunch of failures so I think
the drive is b0rked.

The drive is less than two years old, but I think it only had a one
year warranty. Markku, do you know what the RMA procedure is for
Seagate drives in Finland? Can't hurt to try.

Rasmus