Starting Samba on Fedora 2

Jon Savage jonathansavage at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 19:40:20 UTC 2004

> >http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
> [<Yigal>] Thanks. I did, but somehow this is very long. I get the
> feeling that these guides were written specifically for those who know
> everything and don't need guides - I really can't compile this and also
> understand it as a newbie. I wish there was a "7 steps to connect to XP
> network on home network system guide.
>
> >Use system-config-samba
> [<Yigal>] Command not found
>
>  or swat
> [<Yigal>] I write SWAT and nothing happends - like its running in "no
> output mode"
>
> > or hand edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf to
> >setup the shares.
> [<Yigal>] Last time I was really brave I did such changes and had to
> install all OS from start. Again: as a newbie I prefer to go through
> GUIs which show me what I really need for a specific task and do a
> sanity check for the variables I enter. At the moment I use the browser
> through localhost:901 and could create a share which I even can see from
> the XP, however I get the response that this share does not have the
> permission and direct me to the administrator, which is me; but I have
> no idea what to do now. At least someone calls me administrator. Cool.
You'll have to be root to run system-config-samba from the cli.
Alternately you can go to system settings-->server settings--samba,
click on that & provide the root PW when prompted. I know that the
samba docs are long <but> *understanding* what you are doing will go a
long way towards making your linux experience a happy one and reduce
the potential for problems later.
--
Bests,
Jon