Surveillance

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 3 19:50:34 UTC 2004

From: "Jon Savage" <jonathansavage at gmail.com>

> > I must say, this has been the most interesting topic I've seen
> > on this list. Its a real-world application. When you get it
> > working you should write an article for a magazine such as Linux
> > Format - they'd snap it up quick as winking.\
> I concur this is interesting as heck. You may also want to double
> check w/ your local law enforcement folks to ensure that nothing you
> do runs afoul of the law. I look forward to reading about whatever
> solution you arrive at.
> --
> Bests,
> Jon

I have a nasty turn of mind sometimes, Jon. I got to thinking about
traceable to NIST. If the instrument used was ever compared to an
instrument with documentation for its tractability to NIST then the
instrument used is also traceable to NIST with suitable comments
about the accuracy of the tractability. Traceable to within 10dB is
indeed still traceable and usable in court if the lawyer does not
let himself be bullied about it.

(And if the fellow needs better than 10dB of accuracy to prove the
noisemaker is out of tolerable limits then he's in trouble to prove
his whole case to begin with.)

(And by the time you get to 20dB even a cheap Rat Shack meter is
probably traceable with 2 minutes of work and an hour of paper work.)

{^_-}