text vs html posts on this list...

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Oct 3 20:40:11 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 16:23, Carlos Davila wrote:
> Hi, I recently received an email from someone yelling in my ear tellimg
> me not to post html messages to the list. Are there email clients that
> can't read html? Is there a list rule about what format to post in? If
> so, I apologize for the html posts and I will post in text from now on.

This is mainly mailing list etiquette.  Some people do use clients that
do not parse html or have html turned off. In those cases they get to
try and wade through all the html markup along with your actual
message.  HTML also increases the size of a message so there is
additional bandwidth to send the message.  It is also distracting when
people send html messages with multiple colors in the back ground or
text.  It is better to send plain text messages.

This will also increase the likely hood that people will read and reply
to your message.

It is also a good idea to trim the messages you reply to as much as
possible (again it saves on bandwidth).

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"An entire fraternity of strapping Wall-Street-bound youth.  Hell - this
is going to be a blood bath!"
-- Post Bros. Comics