Probelm installing RPMs

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Mon Oct 4 08:31:38 UTC 2004

Tim,

Tim Bradshaw wrote:
> I am running Fedora Core 2. Before now it has allowed installation via
> Install Packages without problem. Now I get an error message "Unable to
> read package. Be sure you have proper permissions to use this file." I
> checked the permissions and they are completely allowed,
> read-write-execute etc., and it shows my non-root user account as the
> owner. I tried to install via root login, but got the same error. Does
> anyone know what I'm doing wrong or have a suggestion as to what I
> shoudl try? Everything else on the system seems to work fine.

AFAIK a normal user can never install rpm's except they are relocatable,
or they are build using a non priviledged path.
Which files did you check? Did you change permissions for them before?
Try to rebuild you rpm database by executing (as root)

    rpm --rebuilddb

Does this work without any errors? Have you tried different way to
install

> Thanks

Alex