Mail headers for multiple accounts

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Oct 4 13:39:34 UTC 2004

Christopher Taylor wrote:
> I have recently moved my web accounts to a dedicated server running FC2.
> Everything worked great.  The individual account have thier domain names,
> but the email headers state that they came from dedicated.my_domain.net.
> Is there a way I can fix this so that email sent from my accounts shows
> that they came from the correct domain name?

If you are using sendmail as your MTA then you can use a genericstable to do this.

Add to your sendmail.mc file:

FEATURE(`genericstable')dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN(`dedicated.my_domain.net')dnl

Create a file /etc/mail/genericstable containing entries like these:

fred		freds_user_name at freds_domain_name
jim		jim_user_name at jims_domain_name

After rebuilding your sendmail.cf and restarting sendmail, mail sent out by
local user fred should have a From: header address of
freds_user_name at freds_domain_name etc.

Paul.