text vs html posts on this list...

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 4 15:33:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Carlos Davila wrote:

> Also, apparently, not everyone uses email readers that support
> html...that may have been a problem back in the days when only pine
> or elm were around, but should this be a problem in 2004?

i might also point out that this philosophy is very much similar to
the dreaded microsoft policy which says that, every time they come out
with improved technology, you're expected to upgrade.  whether you
like it or not.  "we have new features, you better start using them."

i use pine.  i *like* pine.  it does everything i want, including
working nicely over a serial session.  why should i be told that,
because it's 2004, i should somehow get with the program and replace
it with a fancy, CPU-hog, graphical, HTML-aware mail client?

this "don't post in HTML" is not just a "cultural" thing.  in my
opinion, it's inherently a good rule, as are rules like don't top
post, keep your sigs short, minimize included text to that which is
relevant, etc.

if you think something is just cultural or subjective, just start
hijacking threads and see how long you last here. :-)

rday