Surveillance

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Tue Oct 5 00:37:50 UTC 2004

Jon Savage wrote:
>>the baseball bat replies bothered me the most. if someone came on my
>>property with a baseball bat, they'd leave on a stretcher with a third
>>eye...and the law would back me up for doing it.
>
> Yeah, that was a little disturbing.  I  used to have an upstairs
> neighbor who owned a nightclub. The problem was that he'd get home @
> 0200 & party loudly for a couple of hours. Not fun when you have to
> get up @ 0500 to go to work. I tried all of the following w/o success:
> 1. Asked nicely.
> 2. Asked not so nicely.
> 3. Had police come out repeatedly,  he would not listen to them either.
> 4. Asked *very* persuasively in a physical sense(I was 20 years
> younger then & dumb)
>
> Finally after rinsing and repeating the above w/o success I decided to
> knock politely on his door each morning on my way to work. He'd open
> the door all bleary eyed, I explained to him that I wanted to be a
> good neighbor would continue to wish him a pleasant day each & every
> time he deprived my of sleep. After a couple of early morning
> interludes he got the point :).

out here when someone calls in a noise complaint the first thing the
sheriff asks is "have you notified the neighbor that they are disturbing
you or do you want us to do it?"

the sheriff has never been to my house. in my case i saw one of my
neighbors come out one morning and give me the evil eye while i was
warming up my bike and and getting my stuff together for work. it was
unintentional. even a regular car wakes me up at 5:30 am (it's really
quiet out here). that's all it took and i am careful to warm up the bike
"last thing" in my backyard, and putt out quietly.

the only reason i posted is cuz some people are mental about noise. when
i see a 14 y/o kid riding their old two stroke up the street to the
trails, it brings me pleasant memories...i envy the kid. i know a
certain number of do gooders in the world just see a "noisy, polluting
two stroke engine some brat is riding".

i don't even know if the op and neighborhood have contacted the guy. if
so, it's not clear in the message.