Unable to activate Ethernet Card

Jon Savage jonathansavage at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 01:18:37 UTC 2004

> In order for you to be able to ifconfig the connection up, you must have
> the proper ethernet modules loaded, or at least configured in
> /etc/modprobe.conf.  That's good.  That's 50% of the battle.  Now, why
> can't you use system-config-network to configure the (now working)
> ethernet card to active at boot time?  [From the GUI, click the Fedora
> -> System Tools -> Network Device Control   From there, select your
> ethernet device and push the "Configure..." button, (supply your root
> password, if necessary), select your device in the Network Configuration
> window, and push the "Edit" button in the toolbar.  Check the box that
> reads: "Activate device when the computer starts"]
You also might want to check 'allow all users to enable & disable the
device' option especially if there are multiple NICs on the machine.
This is especially useful on laptops where there is both a wireless &
wired NIC, I've got mine set up to start neither on boot since having
the default eth interface unavailable on boot will cause a significant
delay on boot. I use the network device control applet to bring
up/down as required.
--
Bests,
Jon