Dumping to another servers tape drive

Douglas Phillipson dougp at intermind.net
Tue Oct 5 16:42:22 UTC 2004

Bob Chiodini wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 11:49, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
>
>>Wayne Leutwyler wrote:

>>>Have you looked at Amanda? www.amanda.org
>>>
>>>This might do what you are looking to do.
>>>

>>Thanks but I'm really just trying to get a dump of the machine prior to
>>an upgrade.  So I could still use some help with my question.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Doug P
>

> Doug,
>
> Have you tried dd obs=1024 (or some multiple thereof).  Also, did you
> rewind the tape before the restore (sorry :-)).
>
> Bob...

Thanks for the help Bob.  I actually just found that if I do:

export RSH='ssh'
/sbin/dump  -b 2 -0uf rsldata:/dev/nst0 /dev/sda9

Then on rsldata do:

restore -if /dev/nst0

It seems to work properly.  I would have thought that restore would have
picked up the block size automatically, but apparently not if you don't
specify a block size with dump.

Thanks  to all that responded.

Regards

Doug P