Anti-Virus Software ?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 5 17:22:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Di, den 05.10.2004 schrieb Temlakos um 18:33:

> > But as more people get fed up with "WinDoze" or "Window$" or however you
> > want to spell it, what will happen when cyber-terrorists start attacking
> > Linux directly with virus operations? That's what some of my clients are
> > asking me right now. What do I tell them?

> Again: viruses are a result of bad OS structures since early DOS (how
> much viruses do you know for BSDs, Solaris or other UNIXes?) and much
> laziness and stupidity on the users side.

Getting stuck in the 'Windows-Anti-Virus' abstraction for linux
security is a bad thing. (for that matter - it isn't sufficient even
for windows - i.e - antivirus software isn't a substitute for 'Windows
Update fixes')

You might want to check out 'chkrootkit' - a took that can check for
some of the hack-ins for linux.

Satish