Internal vs external domain addressing

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Oct 5 18:40:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 19:08, antonio.nunes at lifefoundation.plus.com
wrote:
> On our setup when we want to address our server (used both for email and http) from the internal network we need to address it as "machine.ourdomain.com".
> When connecting from outside the network (through the internet) we address the server as "ourdomain.com". How can I configure our BIND server (FC2) so that we can use the
> same address regardless of where we are sending from? Can I make settings so that "machine.ourdomain.com" is recognised on the internet, or do I need to contact our ISP for
> that?

Does your domain have lots of names in it (is it a complex zone file)?

Is your machine a registered nameserver for your domain on the Internet,
or is it only providing DNS for your network, with another ISP providing
the "official" DNS servers for the domain?

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>