Internal vs external domain addressing

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Oct 5 18:49:00 UTC 2004

Once upon a time Tuesday 05 October 2004 1:08 pm,
antonio.nunes at lifefoundation.plus.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On our setup when we want to address our server (used both for email and
> http) from the internal network we need to address it as
> "machine.ourdomain.com". When connecting from outside the network (through
> the internet) we address the server as "ourdomain.com". How can I configure
> our BIND server (FC2) so that we can use the same address regardless of
> where we are sending from? Can I make settings so that
> "machine.ourdomain.com" is recognised on the internet, or do I need to
> contact our ISP for that?

I take it that you run your own world acesable dns server?  if so you would be
best of setting up two views  one for external consumtion.  one for internal
that way you can set machine.domain.com to answer the world with its public
ip and the lan  its internal ip.  if however you dont control  teh dns to the
world  you need to contact whoever looks after your dns to have it added

to configure views in bind  is fairly straight forward
http://sysadmin.oreilly.com/news/views_0501.html  has more details on it

Dennis