Internal vs external domain addressing

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Tue Oct 5 18:58:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 13:40, Paul Howarth wrote:

   [ Sorry- I overlooked the beginning of this thread! ]

> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 19:08, antonio.nunes at lifefoundation.plus.com
> wrote:
> > On our setup when we want to address our server (used both for email and http) from the internal network we need to address it as "machine.ourdomain.com".
> > When connecting from outside the network (through the internet) we address the server as "ourdomain.com". How can I configure our BIND server (FC2) so that we can use the
> > same address regardless of where we are sending from? Can I make settings so that "machine.ourdomain.com" is recognised on the internet, or do I need to contact our ISP for
> > that?

    Try this: your company probably has a 'main' dns machine it uses to
cache the requests.  Create a "ourdomain.local" zone and use it to put
the hosts in it with the behind-the-firewall addresses.

    Here, I have kamakiriad.local. It's clear to both me AND the dns
that this is a phoney-baloney, plastic-banana zone which isn't reachable
from the outside. (Which is why it's not a .com/.net/etc)

    I've used this system for about a decade; it's accurate, easy to
remember, and keeps the seperation of inside and out very clear.  Just
be sure to put ourdomain.local in the /etc/resolv.conf file so you can
just use the hostnames (as usual).

    Also inform your mailer to masquerade the usual way when NAT is
involved.

    Enjoy!
Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller